Monday, January 10, 2011

Sunny Long Beach

The TNNA (National Needlework Show) just ended and, as usual, the talent rivals any art gallery.  Creating art with needle and thread is soul-satisfying.  Choosing from amongst a plethora of images is impossible.  Good thing I was here for work instead of myself or I would have been bankrupt by the end of the first day.  I have a healthy stash at home, thank you very much, and two needlepoint pieces plus a pair of socks to knit with me in my hotel room.  I did have Lisa, at Nashville Needleworks, order one piece for me from Melissa Shirley Designs.  It is a beautiful folk star embellished with holly and ribbons by Mary Lake Thompson for next Christmas.  I couldn't resist!

I took a class while at the show and am excited about working on the design.  I knew I would put the project I brought with me aside when I started this one - it is beautiful.  

Other than my luggage getting routed to India instead of Los Angeles, it was a good trip and I was able to get in some stitching in the evenings uninterrupted by TV or housework.  Two of the benefits of traveling alone are a comfy chair all to myself and room service. 

Sunset over Long Beach Harbor
I think they felt sorry for me when I arrived at the hotel without my luggage.  They gave me a wonderful corner room with a table and chairs by the window and a comfy arm chair with ottoman.  The sunset the first night had the horizon on fire which was a little disconcerting since the busy docks were out there.  I head back to snowy Boston tomorrow.  The warm sunshine of southern California will have to wait for my next visit in a few weeks for the Hobby Show.  This time I think my bag will stay with me on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment