Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Night Boston

Our long weekend in Boston for the New Year festivities has been great.  We stayed with friends at the Parker House at the top end of Boston Common at Tremont and School Streets.  Since it is the oldest continually running hotel in America, I love its historical roots and the timelessly elegant lobby and rooms.  Sitting just at the base of Beacon Hill, walks in the area have taken us onto cobblestone sidewalks which run past tall brick townhouses decked in Christmas finery.  No blow-up Santas here, just beautiful window boxes filled with greenery, berries and ribbons.  A step back in time.

We ate in restaurants tucked into alleys and an Irish Pub outfitted with grand woodwork and well-worn wide plank floors.  At Marliave's, we sat at a table in the front window which was wreathed in pine and fairy lights.  The food was exceptional.  Emmet's Irish Pub had one of the best clam chowders I have ever had and we went back for dinner on Saturday night.  Fiore's in the North End - what can I say?  Sunday Gravy like mama made back in the old country and waiters who treated us like old friends. 

The new Art of the Americas wing at the MFA had me giddy with pleasure.  I only got to explore two of the four floors as I savored every exhibit, but that means I can go back for the others!  John Singer Sargent's artwork was amazing and I saw paintings which were new to me.  How lucky I am to live so close to all this!

We went to the Improv Asylum and saw a comic at the Park Plaza Hotel after the parade and Boston Common fireworks before heading towards Long Wharf and the harbor cruise at midnight to see the fireworks from the water.  It was exciting to see them reflected against the tall glass buildings along Boston harbor, but I felt left out of the countdown on the piers and the festivities among the masses of people there.  If we come down again, I want to be with everyone else at the stroke of midnight.  Some things are just meant to be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment