Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Compulsions

Lately, I have been rummaging under the eaves to unearth things stored there which, for the most part, have been forgotten. A few treasures were found - certainly a treat - but stored papers (why are there so many?) and bits that were shoved in one door or another at random are now reunited or tossed. My cache of yarn is bigger than I remembered.

I am reluctant to open the can of worms on the other side of the room. Over there are all the boxes of pictures and mementos of life, children and momentous moments. I know I will get lost in memories and not really clean up a thing. Perhaps that is a job for a chilly winter day; not one for today which is blazing with sunshine and the new growth outside
compels me to stop.

Our yard is coming to life. The forsythia is a yellow so intense, one feels lost in the color if standing close and looking into the bush. Muscari gifts that popped up a few years ago (not of my own doing) have now expanded their family along a ridge of rocks and a few have jumped ship and are happily blooming in the grass, too. The quince is orangy salmon and full of blooms. It won't be long before the lilacs, azaleas and rhododendrons open up. While I am looking forward to their release, I am quite content to revel in the color already here. This is a great time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment